Saturday 5 December 2009

day ninety three, nailene nail guides, opi rent, misa forbidden lust

okay. we're (i'm) oing to call this my hattrick post because it's 3 different products used at the same time...which is incredibly rare for me! this is going to be a really chatty post as i go through step-by-step how i did this and why i chose these products. if you aren't interested you can just skip to the pictures as they are pretty self-explanatory.



i follow a LOT of nail blogs and some are about people doing nail art...and they're incredibly talented and i wanted to try and do some cool coloured french tips like i see on them. the lovely people at nailene sent me nail guide stickers for french tips and i set to work!

let me state first and foremost...that i am TERRIBLE at nail guide placements. absolutely horrendous. it's shameful how bad i am. but i never do it so i have no experience. i started with my left hand (since i'm a righty), placed the guides and made sure i wrapped them as far around my finger as they would go (it makes a difference!) and put 2 thin coats of misa 'forbidden lust' as my coloured tips. you can't really get away with more than 2 coats. then you need to wait for it to dry (also make sure the guide is pressed on as tight as possible so no polish leaks under the sticker)

when removing the guides it is REALLY important to not pull up toward the polish or you will mess up your tip line and possibly pull off some polish. now i put the guides..way too far down on my left hand (and if i had more skill i would've used nail polish remover and a q-tip to make it less thick..but just getting this far was tough enough!).

i did a better job on my right hand because i knew i put the guides too low...but here they are a little too high on some nails (basically i just need to keep doing this until it becomes easy to see where to place them. however, it is hard for me because i have really shaky hands so getting the stickers on evenly was a big effort)...so i need to try again another time to put the guides where they belong.

i didn't want to just leave the coloured tips and put a topcoat on...i wanted something more. so i used 'rent' by opi (from the collection featuring la boheme). this is a pretty useless polish unless used like i did here. it's supposed to be some sort of pale colour with glitter but really it's mostly clear with very faint shimmer. so the fact that it is a boring...nothing colour and has very subtle shimmer worked in my favour. it added some depth and prettiness to the whole nail and gave off a glow for the part of the nail not tipped.


anyway...i really liked how this looked even though i know the tip placements weren't spectacular. i just have to keep trying i guess!! i promise i won't chat this much for awhile :D










Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

You did a really nice job. I've only used the guides once. Turned out pretty.

5 December 2009 at 16:59  
Blogger Sara Elizabeth said...

thank you lucy!! i liked ow my right hand turned out, not so much the left hand. :)

5 December 2009 at 17:01  
Blogger jaljen said...

Jeez. I had no idea it was so complicated. I naively thought that people just painted tips free-hand!!!!! What a fuss and performance. Not for me. I do admire you for posting every day. Such dedication. I can't even be bothered to start up a blog of my own even though I love reading them. Without you (and bloggers like you) my life would be the poorer...Thank you.

5 December 2009 at 17:22  
Blogger Sara Elizabeth said...

jaljen you crack me up! yes you can freehand...but i am SO SO BAD at freehanding i don't even try. i wasn't lying about the shaky hands bit...freehanding = disaster for me. i'm just not that...artistically gifted when it comes to drawing and painting (on paper or the finger!). i am really liking having a blog. it doesn't FEEL like work and it gives me an excuse to keep buying more polish? :D

5 December 2009 at 17:25  
Blogger WendyB said...

Great job!

5 December 2009 at 20:05  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home